NEWS
What we know so far about ‘crazed’ armed intruder shot and killed at Mar-a-Lago after being reported missing by family
AFTER the Secret Service confirmed the shooting of an armed intruder at Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home, this is what we know so far about the gunman.
According to authorities, the white man in his 20s was armed with a shotgun and a fuel can when he unlawfully entered the safety perimeter at the Palm Beach property on Sunday morning.
The suspect, named as 21-year-old Austin Tucker Martin, according to a source close to the matter, was killed around 1:30am on Sunday by two agents and a Sheriff’s deputy.
He was pronounced dead at the scene. “The individual was observed by the north gate of the Mar-a-Lago property carrying what appeared to be a shotgun and a fuel can,” the Secret Service said in a statement.
“U.S. Secret Service agents and a PBSO deputy confronted the individual and shots were fired by law enforcement during the encounter.”
At a press conference held by PBSO this morning, Palm Beach County Sheriff Brad Shaw confirmed that the man was asked to drop the gun and fuel canister.
Instead, they say he put down the can and “raised the shotgun to a shooting position,” at which point the deputy and two Secret Service agents “fired their weapons and neutralized the threat.”
Secret Service Chief of Communications Anthony Guglielmi has revealed that the man comes from North Carolina and was reported missing by his family a few days ago, per Sky News. He is believed to have left his home in North Carolina and moved south, picking up a firearm on the way.
The box for the weapon was located in his vehicle, which he used to drive through the north gate of Trump’s property as another was exiting, per the Secret Service spokesperson.
Donald Trump regularly visits his Mar-a-Lago home on weekends but was not at the property at the time of the incident. The President remained at the White House this weekend to host a Governors Dinner, First Lady Melania was also in Washington.
He has not yet issued a statement on the incident but White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt has praised the Secret Service for “acting quickly and decisively to neutralize a crazy person.”
“In the middle of the night while most Americans were asleep, the United States Secret Service acted quickly and decisively to neutralize a crazy person, armed with a gun and a gas canister, who intruded President Trump’s home,” she wrote.
“Federal law enforcement are working 24/7 to keep our country safe and protect all Americans. “It’s shameful and reckless that Democrats have chosen to shut down their Department.”
Meanwhile, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent has confirmed he’s spoken to the President who is safe, as are members of his family. A motive is not yet clear and when asked if he was known to law enforcement, Sheriff Bradshaw said at the press conference that he wasn’t “yet.”
It is also unclear if the intruder’s weapon was loaded at the time and how many shots were fired in the incident. An investigation led by the FBI is ongoing.
The FBI confirmed it is processing the scene and collecting evidence and will remain there for “as long as it takes.” Meanwhile, investigators have asked members of the local community to check any security cameras they have for suspicious activity between Saturday night and Sunday morning.
ASSASSINATION ATTEMPTS
The terrifying incident comes after Trump has already been targeted by at least two assassination attempts just months apart in 2024.
On July 13, 2024, he was shot and wounded by a gunman who targeted the GOP leader at a campaign rally in Butler, Pennsylvania.
Trump was left with a bloody face after the bullet grazed his ear in the attack that killed one rally attendee and wounded two others.
Secret Service agents took out the sniper Thomas Crooks. Then on September 15, 2024, a man armed with a rifle was found stalking Trump at his golf course in West Palm Beach.
He was lying in wait while the President played a round of golf but was stopped before he could launch an attack. The would-be assassin Ryan Routh was sentenced to a life in prison a few weeks ago.
“They shouldn’t have to endure attempt after attempt,” Bessent told Fox News while speaking about the Trump family after the latest incident.
